Deb of Rock Falls came to the Illinois Worknet Center in Sterling in the Fall of 2015 after she had lost her job at KSB Hospital in Dixon. She had worked there for 18 years as a medical coder but her position was eliminated and she was interested in making a career change. She decided to enroll at Sauk Valley Community College to pursue an AAS degree in accounting.
Deb was eligible to receive WIOA services as a dislocated worker. BEST, Inc. was able to help her with tuition and fees and other training-related costs for her program. She was also placed in a work experience in the administrative office at the Whiteside County Senior Center which was coordinated and subsidized by BEST, Inc. This was designed to give her some real world experience in an office setting.
Deb used her work experience to help secure a full-time job at the Morrison Community Hospital in Morrison, IL. She was hired there in March of 2018 and is using both the training she received in her accounting courses and her experience as a medical coder. Deb also completed her AAS degree from SVCC in May of 2018, where she consistently made the Dean’s List.
Kristine H. DW - Oregon
- Successfully completed OJT at Scholl Insurance
- Obtained her insurance license
- Continues to work at Scholl Insurance as a Customer Service Representative earning $12.00/hour
Nathanial D. DW – Rock Falls
- Successfully completed an OJT at Bourn & Koch
- Continues working at Bourn & Koch as an electrical technician earning $20.23/hour
Felisha T. Adult – Mount Morris
- Successfully completed an AAS degree in Registered Nursing at Kishwaukee College with a 4.0 GPA
- Currently studying for her NCLEX/State boards
Martin W. Adult - Dixon
- Successfully completed an AAS degree in Registered Nursing at Kishwaukee College
- Currently studying for his NCLEX/State boards
- He has been hired by KSB Hospital and is scheduled to start June 25
Anthony Y. Adult – Oregon
- Successfully completed CDL training at Sauk Valley Community College and obtained his CDL license
- He has been hired by PTL Trucking and is currently in training with the company in Kentucky
Mt. Carroll/Galena Offices
- Alysha, our Carroll County GED student from Thomson passed her Constitution Test on May 7 and got her HSE Certificate. She is employed at the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Thomson in a Work Experience through BEST, Inc. She would like to go to college in the fall for Criminal Justice.
- Our Dislocated Worker named Melissa from Jo Daviess County who is in a Medical Coding Program at Highland got straight A's in her classes for the spring semester.